Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic Day

Today Barack Obama is being sworn in as our country's 44th president. After enduring the failures of the past eight years, this day could not come fast enough.

Today I find myself reflecting on my experience 16 years ago. I had the unique opportunity to be in Washington DC for Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1993. Every year the high school I went to would take students to Washington DC as part of the close-up program. The teachers in charge of the program requested that our school get to go during the inauguration week. Our school was one out of six high schools chosen from the hundreds of applicants for that week. It was an amazing week, one I'll never forget. My friends and I opted rather than to go to the actual inauguration, to stake out a good location for the parade. We arrived on the parade route early, early in the morning and ended up with front row seats. I have so many awesome pictures from the parade, including one of the Clintons inside their limo. It was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities that I am so glad I got to experience.

No comments: