Sunday, August 31, 2008

Disaster Averted

My two younger sisters, Amy and Leslie (twins) have moved back to Utah for the school year. Both are in their second year at Brigham Young University. Rather than living in the dorms this year, they have each rented an apartment (in different complexes) with their friends.

This afternoon, I called Leslie to see how she was doing, and how she was adjusting to life away from mom and dad. A few minutes into the conversation I asked her if she's done any cooking yet. She casually answered, 'No, our stove is leaking gas.' I said. "WHAT? you have a GAS LEAK?" She said "Yeah, we're going to call the apartment maintenance on Monday." I freaked out a little on her and told her she needed to call the gas company NOW. I quickly went on line and found their emergency number. I told her to call them immediately and to also call her landlord.

She listened to her older and wiser sister and called the gas company. As soon as she told them she was pretty sure there was a gas leak in the apartment she was told that she and her three roommates needed to get out of there asap and to wait outside for the gas-man to come. A short time later gas-man arrived and confirmed the oven had a gas leak. He unplugged the oven and the apartment managers will be replacing it tomorrow.

Leslie and her roommates were so lucky! Apparently she knew last night they had a gas leak. Her friend came over and was trying to light the pilot light in the stove. Flame + Gas usually ='s explosion. How they got so lucky we don't know.

Last winter in our county, there was a brand new house that had a natural gas explosion killing two people (a young 20-something mom and a gas company employee.) My sister and her friends were very, very lucky.

No comments: